Sunday, September 5, 2010

Snowflake Scaffolding

If, like me, you are someone who loves the idea of using Dan Meyer's snowflake prediction activity to teach reflections, maybe you would find this post helpful. I read through his old blog post on this activity and it seems like he is saying that the activity is cool but needs some more scaffolding in order to reach all learners, so here is my supplement to his activity. I think this scaffolding will work (but we will see in a couple of weeks, when my kids actually do it). You can still have your kids cut out the first couple of the shapes to verify kinesthetically why the reflection happens the way it does, but hopefully they are then building the abstract understanding of reflection as they progress. If you compare the shapes I scaffolded below and his worksheet, you'd see that I didn't scaffold the last ones of each series of snowflakes. I want the kids to be able to do the last ones without all the scaffolding.




Let me know what you think, if you do use this supplement to Dan's activity! The file is here if you wanted to grab it for use in class.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. What a cool activity that I want to try myself and somehow give to the kids.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm glad you like it. :) I hope it works well for you!

    ReplyDelete